Is This It?

pink: redefining what it means to be a girl generated by sloganizer.net

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Week Two, Part I

NEVER have I been so happy to see this on my cab ride home
Week Two

After returning from Hotlanta, last Tuesday night, it was back to work at the Firm for me, no rest for the weary. Before leaving ATL, I emailed all of my friends and requested their presence at a happy hour in my honor (I’m humble y’all!) and my return from the brink of southerness. I believe the final count was 9, seven of which showed up at the Hawk N Dove on Wednesday to toast my return, watch the hockey game (Oilers vs. Edmonton) and have a laugh or two. It was nice to be back with my friends and in a familiar locale. It was intern night at the HnD and we reaped the benefits ($5 pitchers, free wings, pop music) despite our lack of intern status (damn those paying jobs!)

The crush of the moment failed to show up as did DCboy. Both too busy/exhausted to make the trek out. I was bummed, but honestly didn’t miss them only because if they had come, I would have had to be “on” (read: charming, cute, funny, etc) and all I really wanted to do was relax and have fun with my friends who I am not trying to charm their pants off.

The rest of the week was short lived as it seemed like I got home, unpacked did a bazillion loads of laundry and packed back up so that I could head to NoVA and PA on the weekend to celebrate Sally’s birthday.

Now this is where all the fun (and my lack of sleep) comes from for the weekend:

Sally “Tigress Woods” invited (or did we crash?) us to her Friday Night Golf Happy Hour at a local golf course. We prepped it up and were ready Friday at 7 to be picked up at the Springfield Metro so that we could make our entrance to the club fashionably late.

The special for this HH is free balls (haha BALLS) to those that want to practice their swing in front of everyone else. It was an enjoyable time and we spent way too much time there despite the downpour and lack of youngish men (anyone that was under 30, basically). The classic moment of the night was when Jane learned, from me, what exactly a “pearl necklace” is. If only I had my camera to capture the look of shock and horror. Almost as good as when she had to explain what the “shocker” to someone else.

Then it was off to Sally’s apartment for pizza (“I’ve never seen so much meat on one piece”) and movies. The plan was to watch all three Mighty Ducks movies in preparation for the trip to Hershey to see the Bears play (a surprise trip for Sally). Much to our dismay, Blockbuster (ticketmaster’s bastard son) didn’t have ANY of the MD movies, not even D3! We couldn’t believe it! Not sure what we were thinking, but decided on Date Movie as the replacement. Um…I feel stupider for watching the entireity of that movie. The one funny line was “How do you say your name? Just like it’s spelled, Fucurdaughter”

Saturday morning was spent watching Sally coach her 5 year old soccer players (ADORABLE) in their last game of the season. SO cute and so much fun to be outside doing something other than working, drinking or sleeping. The kids were hilarious (they do say the darndest things!) and the parents were very sweet to us random adults with no children.

the only place we hit traffic, Dillsburg, PA.

After the game it was off to Hershey PA for the Birthday Weekend Getaway. It took only a couple of hours to get there and we spent the time belting out to 80’s music , talking about guys, cars, beer, hockey and generally having a good time. Including the following tidbits of fun:

Jane: “Hey Woodside! I went to Woodside High!”
C$: “woodcock?”

Sally: “I am now going to play the #1 reason why women have unreal expectations about love and are bitter and alone…” Wonderful Tonight starts to play.

After dinner at Outback (Sally wanted meeeaaaaaaaaaaat) we had a quick shower session and we were off to the Giant Center. But, of course, before leaving the Ho Jo’s (we’re high class!) we each chugged a beer like champs and headed out the door to the Giant Center.

“I was worried that when he slowed down by Giant [grocery store] that I hadn’t been specific enough. Then I realized it was a red light.”

The game was uneventful except for two events. The first one, beer at the giant center is ONLY $4.25!!!! Jane even did a little jig to celebrate. And secondly, during the 2nd period intermission they have Sumo wrestling on the ice. Maybe it was the boredom setting in from the lackluster performance of the Bears, or maybe it was the drinking (mixed drinks and several beers already) or maybe it was actually that funny, but we laughed for a good 5 minutes watching these two guys go at it, I’m not sure why it was funny and don’t really care.

What we didn’t understand was the crowd. A good mix of hockey fans and families, decent ratio of male to female and such, BUT either there were Penn. Dutch or Amish folks in attendance. Sally was quite upset at and for the young women who had to wear traditionalish dresses/sneakers and the little bonnet but the guys were able to wear normal clothes: “I don’t get it. She has to wear that and he gets to wear jeans and an USA Hockey t-shirt.” And later on in the night: “I don’t know what God you worship, but I’m pretty sure He wouldn’t want you to wear sneakers with that dress.”

After a couple of more beers and a call to the cab company we were off to Shakey’s (“Sharkey’s, Shockey’s, Shocker’s…whatever”)….

You can't quite tell here, but we'd been waiting for over an hour for a cab.
The Giant Center was long shut down and just tourists were stuck outside. .

That’s it for this post….got to get back to work and this is a semi-good stopping point for the night. Back with more….

7 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

pft... and here I thought you were always "on."

And really... what 20-some doesn't know what a pearl necklace is? [sigh]

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger C$ said...

well, to some extent, i am always "on" but being 'on' for your friends and being 'on' for someone of the opposite sex is COMPLETELY different (at least in my book).

I was v. suprised to learn she didn't know what it meant. I thought she was just joking around, playing the innocent one, but that wasn't the case. Her face, priceless.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

by the way... I feel like my friends and I are the only ones that actually show the shocker whenever varying forms of the word "shock" are used in conversation. Including but not limited to: shock, shocking, shocker... and the Wichita State Shockers.

Are we alone in this?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger C$ said...

God no. At least not my friends, maybe it's just our two respective groups. We've got picture after picture of us with the shocker pose and use it whenever appropriate (and even when it's not):

bartender: 'how many shots would you like?"
"six" complete with the two handed shocker.

maybe i'll do a pictorial entry of all of our shocker photos....

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Oooooh... numerically related shocker! I'm going to have to pitch this to the boys...

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Marci said...

There goes i-66 smutting up the comments section again...

But HA! To your pearl necklace story. It reminds of a time when I had to explain "rimming" to a friend at the Booze Allen Classic tourney just as the dudes put up the QUIET signs. Opps.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger C$ said...

big surprise there. he's got a one track mind (okay, maybe two with the world cup going on...)

don't you just love having to be the one to inform your friends about things you shouldn't even know about........especially at inappropriate times. awesome

 

Post a Comment

<< Home