Is This It?

pink: redefining what it means to be a girl generated by sloganizer.net

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Week One

It’s been almost 2 weeks since my last post, so I will do my best to recap everything that’s happened, as I think it’s quite entertaining.

Week one (until June 6th)
I spent 6 horrible days in the ATL for work. I don’t know what it isa bout that city, but I despise it on every level. There is not one thing that I can point to that would justify my hate for this city, but I think it has something to do with the fact that NOTHING is actually in Atlanta, and instead, is in Buckhead, Perimeter and every gosh darn suburb that’s 15 or so miles out of the ATL.

No bars, clubs or good places to grab some food are anywhere to be found within city limits (or I should say, within walking distance of any downtown hotel). If I were to ever go back, I would DEFINITELY not stay in the city and maybe opt for Buckhead or something like that. It’s a beautiful area but not tourist non-car driving friendly.

Work itself was interesting. I worked at an information booth for a conference of roughly 25,000 medical professionals. We were in a building that was almost a mile from end to end, so there were lots of tired Docs pissed off that we made them walk all the way to get to some lecture or to hear Lance Armstrong speak. I think my favorite saying from the week was “they don’t teach that in doctor school,” only because we were asked some of the STUPIDEST questions EVER. For example, if you are on level four of one building and go down an escalator to another building what level do you think you are on? Logic tells you (or at least me): “I’d be on level three.” However that is not the case with Docs, they were convinced they were on level one and refused to believe me, even questioning my honesty and genuine concern about their inability to read signs and count.

When I started at the Firm I joked with my friends that by the time I left I’d be able to cure _______ (disease that cannot be mentioned) with all the stuff that I was learning. Well, I can read, write and add so I think I’m well on my way to curing it!

My info booth was staffed by an older, retired woman from Georgia who was sweet as a peach but dumb as a pit in a peach. She didn’t know the area at all and I spent a good portion of my time looking up directions and names of places/streets on mapquest or google. What’s the point of having a local she doesn’t know a thing about the area. But she was sweet and I enjoyed talking to her for 11 hours a day. Although, I have a feeling she might have thought I was ‘playing for the other team’ if you catch my drift. I had spent some time talking about sports and my attempts to organize a group of Firm staff to go to a Braves game. A couple days later, when we were “closer” (how close can you get to a stranger, pretty damn close after 60 hours together) she asked this out of the blue:

Georiga: “So C$, you are 23 and aren’t married, do you have a boyfriend or something…?”
C$: hahah “ummmm, no I don’t have a boyfriend”
Georgia: “oh”
C$: “but I do have a crush on someone, a friend of mine.”
Georgia: “ooooh okay” (sigh of relief and a smile) “that’s nice to hear. Tell me about him.”
C$: “well……”

I’ll never forget the tone of voice or the smile that she gave me once I told her that I liked a guy. I think she came thisclose to getting out of her stool and praising Jesus that her sweet city girl liked the penii.

In regards to staff at the Firm, I don’t think they like me and I’m not sure why. There were a few instances at the staff party (open bar baby) that I was talking to people and they would turn around mid-story or not really pay any attention to me at all. As far as I know, I’ve done nothing to offend them and have been nothing but nice. I thought the trip to the ATL would help me broaden my work friends, but I don’t think that’s the case. Maybe I had a sign on my forehead/back/chest that said “I’m a bitch” or “I’m judging you, don’t talk to me” or something along those lines that made people not like me. Or maybe it’s not me and they are just all losers.

Yeah, that’s it.

It was an interesting trip and I’ve never been so happy before to see the monuments as I flew into DCA. Things I missed about ATL:

1. public transportation: I hate the metro as much as the next guy, but it’s something you can rely on and actually use to get place to place
2. police presence: for the most part, one can only go so far before seeing an officer that can arrest you for one thing or another here in DC. Although I’m never really doing anything bad, it’s nice to know they are around. However, in ATL I saw so few and actually was afraid to go walking about. People, I live in SOUTHEAST DC and I was scared, something is wrong here.
3. food food glorious food: for a week, all I really ate was red meat at every restaurant I went to. Limited choice on all menus and choices of establishments SUCK in ATL. So glad to know that I can get just about anything I want anywhere around here.
4. city planning: it’s taken me some time to figure out all of the intricacies of DC but one thing is clear, numbered and lettered streets is ingenious.

I’m sure there were more things that I hated about ATL, but a weeks distance between the hate and now make everything seem a little stupid and petty.

Glad to be home

And I-66, no sweet tea for you or for me. You’ll have to settle for me being home :)

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Shit.

As I began reading this, I was like "alright, I'm asking about the tea at the end" and you cut me off before I could even ask! Hmph.

Not that I'm not glad you're home. I am. It's good to have more metro haters in the metro area. But c'mon, no tea? I guess I'll just have to go drink more beer. See what you've made me do?

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger C$ said...

part of me wonders if i'm actually to blame for your needing to go drink more beer. your the one that was at the bar in the AM yesterday ;-)

and actually, i didn't find/see any sweet tea anywhere. i looked on the menu for it everywhere and nuttin' but Coke and CNN juice.

wait, isn't beer northern sweet tea anyway?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I suppose I'm supposed to be drinking for the both of us these days, yesno?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger C$ said...

Well, during the day, yes. After 5:30 I can take care of myself, but don't that limit your own intake ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home